Thursday, December 12, 2013

Christmas Ornaments With the Scroll Saw and How to Keep the Cats Away from the Christmas Tree




A book on Amazon called "Compound Christmas Ornaments for the Scroll Saw" by Diana L. Thompson caught my eye and I had to try making some of the ornaments in the book.  You do need a scroll saw for this, but if you don't have one, maybe making something like this will inspire you to get into wood working.  You can make a lot more than just Christmas ornaments with a scroll saw.  Just search the web for ideas on what you can make with this versatile tool.  If you need basic instruction for the scroll saw, or want to know more about it, there are tons of books on the subject and many videos on YouTube.


I've made a video that shows how I made the ornaments and everything you need to do it.  Here it is below:



I hope you have fun making these. Anyone who I've shown these to are amazed that I made them.  They look hard to make, but are really easy.  They make great gifts too.


While we're on the subject of Christmas ornaments, I wanted to share how I finally figured out how to keep the cats from taking the ornaments off the tree.  Check it out:


Sorry the picture is blurry, but I wanted to show what I used around the tree.  On the bottom right I have something called SSSCAT Cat Training Aid.  It's a can of compressed air with a motion detector on it, so when the cat goes near it, it shoot out a burst of air and scares him away.  It's very effective.  So I have one of those under the tree.  On the left side, the grey egg on the chair is basically the same thing as the SSSCAT, but it's made by Sunbeam and just looks different.


  I couldn't get one of these devices to sit right on the couch (to the right of the tree) to keep the cats off without setting it off every time I walked by.  So I put a Scat Mat (the plastic thing) on the arm.  It runs on 9-volt battery and gives the cat a small shock if they step on it.  It's just like a static shock.  The vet actually recommended it to me.  It only takes once for the cat to learn not to step on it.  

Don't worry, the cats aren't harmed.  In past years the cats broke so many ornaments, or they'd scale the tree and mess it up.  But this year, not one ornament on the floor.  

THANKS A LOT FOR READING.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!



No comments:

Post a Comment